IPSA supports a worldwide community of professionals in the field of surrogate partner therapy, which includes surrogate partners, therapists, and individuals supportive of surrogate partner therapy. The purposes of the organization are:
1. To make available to therapists surrogate partners who uphold professional ethics and meet professional
2. to increase knowledge and acceptance of surrogate partner therapy in the therapeutic community and in
the general public;
3. to elevate the professional standards and ethics of all surrogate partners;
4. to promote professional standards for surrogate partner training;
5. to provide training for prospective and practicing surrogate partners and therapists;
6. to advance knowledge and disseminate information about sexual functioning;
7. to conduct and participate in research related to surrogate partner therapy and sexual functioning;
8. to encourage the updating of laws related to sexual practices;
9. to encourage legislation establishing standards in the field of sex therapy;
10. to promote educational services for the professional development of IPSA members;
11. to facilitate client access to surrogate partner therapy information and referrals; and
12. to foster a feeling of fellowship and cooperation within the organization.
As members of IPSA, we are committed to promoting healthy attitudes toward sexuality and intimacy in our clients and in the community. To further our work and our own emotional well-being, we join together to provide support and assistance to each other in these endeavors.
Certified (Full) Members:
For working professional surrogate partners whose training and ethics have been evaluated by IPSA. IPSA Certified Surrogate Partners agree to honor the IPSA Code of Ethics, and to be routinely evaluated for competence and professionalism by their peers.
For therapists with expertise in surrogate partner therapy.
For trainees who have successfully have begun or are ready to begin Internship – the second stage of IPSA training for Surrogate Partners. Intern members agree to comply with the IPSA Code of Ethics, to accurately identify themselves as Interns, and to participate in multiple levels of supervision until they have successfully completed Internship and been approved for Certification.
This membership category is for former certified members and other colleagues who wish to support the mission and activities of IPSA.
Please direct membership and certification questions and applications to the IPSA Membership Committee.
Requirements for each category of membership and application forms are available on this site on our Applications page.